Monday, November 16, 2009

News from a warrior

Peter King writes the Monday Morning Quarterback column for SI. The past few years, he's mentioned hearing from Army Sgt. Mike McGuire, who's been deployed to Iraq and Afghanistan in recent years.
He provides an update this morning.
b. Great to hear from Army First Sgt. Mike McGuire, the Army's biggest Kurt Warner fan, on Sunday. He checked in at halftime of the Bengals-Steelers game -- and yes, he was watching five time zones away at his home in Germany. To refresh your memories, Sgt. McGuire's at work prepping his third platoon for a foray into the wars into Afghanistan and Iraq, and it's pretty dangerous work. McGuire's men disarm Improvised Explosive Devices on roads in the war torn countries, and he is due to deploy with the new platoon in 2010. His e-mail to me Sunday afternoon:
"Hi Peter. I got a new company, HHC 40th Engineers, huge company. Twice as big as I had before, so I work from 5 a.m. until about 7 p.m. every night. HHC is the Headquarters Company for my Battalion, very different from running a regular 'Line Company,' and tiresome. We are preparing to deploy again. Can't give you the date yet, but I can tell you that I am enjoying this football season because I won't be around for next year's. On and off, it's a crazy lifestyle, I know. I am glad I have such a strong wife and kids. They are on their own for long periods of time with no help from me.
"Right now I am watching the Bengals-Steelers game. I've seen a lot of the Bengals this year. Seems like every week they are on here. They are pretty impressive though. Very good defense. That front line is hardcore. Got to see Kurt throw 5 TDs last week. Even kept my wife up late to watch. Very fun to watch. Can't wait to read your book. Rams will be OK. A real fan rides the hard times. Man, they are terribly hard now. But they will get better. What's your take on James Laurinaitis? We draft defense -- just hope it pays off soon. Thanks for keeping in contact, its pretty cool. Tell Kurt he has another two to three years left, bring a trophy to Arizona. Take care and talk to you later."

No comments: