Saturday, August 29, 2009

"I'm a teabagger"

The word "teabagger" has entered our vocabulary to denote members of the Tea Party movement. It's not usually used in the nicest way. So what do we do about it?
Let's learn a lesson from the early Christians, who took symbols and timing of pagan holidays and created traditions for Christmas. Let's make the profane sacred (or at least less profane).
I thought of all this after hearing the Monkees' song "I'm a Believer." Here's the parody, "I'm a Teabagger."

I didn't fall
for ol' Obama's fairy-tales
Tax hikes for just a few
but not for me
Spending out of control
That's the way it seemed
Didn't want to see the end of all my dreams

When I saw his plan,
now I'm a teabagger
Not a chance I'll fall for his talk
Say it proud, I'm a teabagger! You can't fool me tho' you try

I know government needs taxes to run things
Seems the more I paid, the more they want.
What's the use in whinin'?
Taxpayers get the blame
But I need some relief from his pain

Then I saw my friends
now I'm a teabagger
Not a chance we'll fall for his talk
Say it proud, I'm a teabagger! You can't fool us tho' you try

Spending out of control,
That's the way it seemed
Didn't want to see the end of all our dreams

Yes, we saw his plan
now we're all teabaggers
Not a chance we'll for his talk
Say it proud, I'm a teabagger! You can't fool us tho' you try

Yes, I saw his plan
now I'm a teabagger
Not a chance we'll fall for his talk
Say it proud, I'm a teabagger! Yeah, I'm a teabagger. Yea, yea, yea, yea, yea I'm a teabagger.

And the inspiration

3 comments:

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

That is TOO funny! Loved that song when I was that age ... great parody, as always.

Mike said...

Thanks. Got the idea driving to Wal-Mart last night.

Lynn R. Mitchell said...

Isn't that the way it goes? We spark ideas at the darndest times!

I was drying my hair this morning and my brain sparked on something ... and off to the computer I went. {chuckle} I guess creativity often comes whenever our minds are least cluttered, allowing it in....