Monday, April 11, 2011

More wisdom from Scott Adams

The Dilbert creator looks at higher education in the weekend Wall Street Journal.
And his experiences could help today's students.
My college days were full of entrepreneurial stories of this sort. When my friends and I couldn't get the gym to give us space for our informal games of indoor soccer, we considered our options. The gym's rule was that only organized groups could reserve time. A few days later we took another run at it, but this time we were an organized soccer club, and I was the president. My executive duties included filling out a form to register the club and remembering to bring the ball.

By the time I graduated, I had mastered the strange art of transforming nothing into something. Every good thing that has happened to me as an adult can be traced back to that training. Several years later, I finished my MBA at Berkeley's Haas School of Business. That was the fine-tuning I needed to see the world through an entrepreneur's eyes.
When I look back at my college career, I remember a little about the classes. More about time with my friends, working with the college newspaper, being in College Republicans and my four years in Campus Crusade for Christ.
It's nice to learn about communications and journalism. It's more important to learn about real life.

No comments: