Wednesday, May 21, 2014

Not the greatest

Powerline's Paul Mirengoff shares a story of the Job Corps, using his father's experience.
He used to tell the story of a Job Corps center in Indiana (I think) that trained welders. The welders, virtually all of whom were Black, would then seek employment at a shipyard in Alabama. Invariably, they would be rejected.
Inside the Department of Labor, the party line was that the man in charge in Alabama was a racist. But my father dug deeper. He called the guy, who said he was willing to take Job Corps alumni, but insisted they just weren’t good enough at welding.
My father invited the Alabaman to spend a few days at the Indiana center. He agreed.
At the end of his visit, he told my father, “Bill, not only are your welders not good enough to work for me, your teachers aren’t good enough to work for me.”
Great Society?
Not that great at teaching.

No comments: