Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Enjoy your Election Day evening

If you've voted, it's time to wait until the votes are counted. Forget about those exit polls.
They just help the media know where to look Election night. You don't need polls to know where to look tonight.
Relax and enjoy yourself. Or relax and hide from the news. In 1974, my family went to see "2001: A Space Odyssey" at the movie theater. Better than watching election coverage with three boys ages 12, 10 and nine.
Election Days as a newspaper reporter aren't as good. All the waiting with none of the payoff for being on the winning team. Although when I lived in South Carolina, I would write-in the names of my newspaper colleagues and my precincts' results were the first ones posted. That gave them a good laugh.
In 1988, I was in a back room of the county courthouse, calling in voting totals precinct by precinct. Where was the internet when I needed it?
My co-workers celebrated in 1992, and I celebrated in 1994. Even if you aren't supposed to root in the newspaper's editorial area.
Tonight, I'll probably be watching Cartoon Network or Nick with the boys. As long as I get to check the computer for the latest news.

No comments: