Thursday, December 6, 2012

Standing in line

An interesting column from the Bluefield Daily Telegraph on interacting with the government.
Earlier this year I had to visit a state agency for a routine matter. I walked through the doors expecting delays and a long wait-time. That, in itself, is a giant red flag.
And the experience was worse than the expectation.
I became antsy just watching from the sidelines. Why didn’t the employees move into high gear? Why didn’t they pick it up a notch to clear the lines and satisfy the customers’ needs?
Apparently, customer service wasn’t the key concern.
As more people jumped into the ever-growing line, I was shocked when one of the two women behind the counter nonchalantly closed her station to go on break.
I was flabbergasted. Who takes a break when there are 20-some customers waiting for service?

Thanks for thinking of the people who pay your salary.

No comments: