Tuesday, March 1, 2011

What's your union story?

Pat in Shreveport asks for stories of your dealings with unions. I have none, after 20-plus years of work.
Pat tells the story of her one need for the teacher's union in 15 years.
My first teaching job was with a strict micro-manager who oversaw every detail of your day and felt the need to comment on it all. One time she called us into faculty meeting and told us that kids were not to be allowed out of class to go to the restroom; those issues should be handled between classes.

The very next day a student runs into my room between classes, tosses his books on his desk, and runs back out saying, "I have to go to the bathroom!" He did not return before the tardy bell as as procedure directed, I put his name on my tardy slip report for the day and turned it in. The next day I had a note in my box that a letter had been placed in my personnel file that I was insubordinate and had allowed a student to leave class when previously directed not to do so.
I like her story. She had to use the union to keep from being blamed for something she had no control over (a student who would not be stopped when he had to go).
Unions need to look at this story. And they fighting "the man" or are they the "micro-managing man?"

No comments: