Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Paywall, emphasis on wall

SWACgirl notes the News Virginian's announcement of a $5/month subscription to access content.
Thanks for the warning, guys.
Local newspapers are in a trap. They bring together local and national news in a package for readers to easily read.
National news is readily available for free on the internet.
If you like local news, does that provide enough value to pay a monthly fee? Or do TV stations, alternate media and other sources give you what you need to know?
I grew up reading the Baltimore Sun. Now they limit me to 15 articles a month, so I limit my viewing of their stories. There's always ESPN and MASN to catch up on sports.
It would be nice to be better informed on local issues, but you have to make choices.
If they choose a paywall, I choose to stay on the outside.

No comments: