Thursday, September 2, 2010

My part in Obama's "Recovery Summer"

While awaiting the latest bad news about employment, I have some good news for President Obama - I got hired to a job and start Sept. 13.
After six years as a stay-at-home dad, I'm returning to the workforce. Not much thanks to the president - I'm returning where I worked for eight-plus years before - and that got me the interview and job. But he'll take whatever he can get.
My job search this summer made me realize who's working the hardest in this economy - people in Human Resources departments. One of my friends applied for 150 jobs this summer before getting one. When there's an opening, there's 50 or more people trying to get it.
All of those eager, desperate people call the HR area for an update of their status. What's the poor, hard-working person in HR to do? There's barely enough time in the workday. What do you tell this jobseekers when there's very little out there?
  • Your chances are slim and none, and Slim just left town.
  • You're better off buying lottery tickets
  • Call us back after you've been hit by lightning.
It's important for Democrats to realize that the hardest-working people in the employment field are in Human Resources. Be nice to the HR people. Don't badger them too much.
Democrats will see how hard HR people work this winter - when their side loses the election and they are out of jobs all across the country.

1 comment:

jill said...

Congratulations on the new job!