Thursday, June 11, 2009

Concord Charlie vs. Concord alum

I saw Creigh Deeds' commercial about going to college with just four $20 bills. But he failed to mention that college was in West Virginia. Concord, The Campus Beautiful.
I spent plenty of time at Concord, while writing sports for the Bluefield Daily Telegraph from 1987-95. I saw Concord win three West Virginia Conference men's basketball tournaments and traveled with them to Kansas City for the 1991 NAIA tournament.
Their rivals at Bluefield State called me "Concord Charlie*" for my obvious - to them - bias to Concord.
But my bias for things Concord doesn't extend to Democratic candidates for Concord. You won't see this Concord Charlie helping this Concord alum.

*Why "Concord Charlie?" Starting in 1979, Concord has had a Groundhog Day celebration. The college president brings news whether or not Charlie saw his shadow. No one else sees Charlie. If Deeds got an endorsement from that Concord Charlie, I'd like to see the picture.

No comments: