Sunday, December 21, 2008

Favorite Christmas Carol

The pastor of a church I attended in South Carolina liked this song, "I heard the Bells on Christmas Day" by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow. He especially like how it went from down to triumphant in the final three stanzas.

I heard the bells on Christmas Day
Their old familiar carols play
And wild and sweet the words repeat
Of peace on earth, good will to men

I thought how, as the day had come
The belfries of all Christendom
Had rolled along the unbroken song
Of peace on earth, good will to men

And in despair I bowed by head
"There is no peace on earth," I said
"For hate is strong and mocks the song
Of peace on earth, good will to men"

Yet pealed the bells more loud and deep
"God is not dead nor doth he sleep;
For wrong shall fail, the right prevail,
With peace on earth, good will to men"

Then ringing, singing on its way,
The World revolved from night to day
A voice, a chime, a chant sublime
Of peace on earth, good will to men

No comments: